CHARLOTTE COUNTY, Fla. — A woman alerted to a fire in her home by smoke detectors, called Charlotte County Fire and EMS, just in time Sunday morning. First responders say there was no smoke showing from the outside, but they quickly found the fire in the garage and put it out.
Firefighters say the resident correctly closed the door, which helped contain the fire. First responders say leaving a door open during a fire provides the fire with more oxygen and may spread it throughout the home. The Red Cross responded as well to help the residents with a place to sleep for a couple of nights.