With school bring out, more kids are spending time alone at home. Four in your corner spoke to the Lee County Sheriff's office for tips on how to keep your children safe.
Remember these tips:
- Post an emergency phone list
- Practice an emergency plan
- Limit cooking
- Use caution when posting on social media
The Lee County Sheriff's office spokesperson says there is no hard and fast rule for an appropriate age to leave your child home alone. Parents have to look at your child's maturity level. If you are unsure, you can call the Lee County Sheriff's office non-emergency number for help.
So if you are leaving your child home alone, here are some tips for them:
- Never tell someone mom or dad is not home. You should instead say, "he or she is busy".
- Learn security system, smoke alarms
- Don't answer the door
- Don't leave home without permission