NewsLocal News

Actions

Port Charlotte man testifies in trial for former Nazi guard

Posted at 9:44 PM, Dec 06, 2019
and last updated 2019-12-06 23:25:47-05

PORT CHARLOTTE, Fla. — A Port Charlotte holocaust survivor is back from testifying in the trial of a Nazi guard who watched over the camp he was born in .

Moshe Peter Loth, who was born in the Stutthof concentration camp in 1943, which is now in modern day Poland, was called to Hamburg, Germany last month to testify against a former camp guard.

Loth was later separated from his mother Helena and wasn't reunited with her until he was 15 years old.

According to court documents the Nazi guard on trial, is a 93-year-old man who goes by the name "Bruno D."

He is charged in the deaths of 5,230 people there.

"Cause he could see everything. From where he was stationed he could see everything," said Loth.

Bruno served at Stutthof from August 1944 to April 1945 and is being tried in a juvenile court, because he was 17 at the time of his crimes.

In court, Loth got the chance to question Bruno before a panel of international judges.

But, after a few questions Loth says he then did the unthinkable.

"Eventually I stood up and I says, 'could you forgive me?' to him. And he said, 'for what?' And the whole court went berserk. Because I was angry, bitter hateful," said Loth.

Then, the two men hugged.

"I forgived him and we held each other and when I was holding him he said 'Pray for me. Forgive me. Forgive me,'" said Loth.

It's behavior the holocaust survivor says he can't quite explain.

But what Loth can say is that he will continue to share his story and the stories of the Holocaust for the rest of his life.

"He who forgets history, history repeats itself."

"Bruno D's" trial is set continue for at least another few weeks.