FORT MYERS, Fla. -- A Southwest Florida family was searching through the debris of their home after a severe fire when they found something unexpected.
Tucked underneath a charred dining room table and covered in soot was their 10-month-old pet rabbit Finn, who fire officials said didn't have a chance of surviving.
The Iona-McGregor Fire District reports that the family found Finn Monday. Several fire crews responded to the two-alarm fire Sunday night and found flames reaching through the one-story home's roof.
An investigation determined that the fire started in a grill on the home's patio. 911 dispatch records say Finn became frightened and ran into the burning home as the family fled to safety.
Iona-McGregor Fire Marshal Ed Steffens says Finn's survival is a testament to how hard responders fought the blaze.