NewsLocal News

Actions

NutriBullet blamed for sparking a fire in Cape Coral

Posted at 6:38 AM, Mar 30, 2018
and last updated 2018-03-31 20:04:55-04

CAPE CORAL, Fla., - A Cape Coral woman claims she was nearly injured when the NutriBullet blender she was using sparked a small fire.

Linda Rasmussen says she’d used her 600 watt NutriBullet dozens of times for about 6 months. But on Tuesday, she claims something went wrong when she plugged in the appliance. Within seconds, she noticed a small flame shooting out of the outlet.

“Smoke was everywhere,” Rasmussen said. 

Cape Coral Fire Department responded to the reported fire at Astro Durance Bungee Systems Headquarters in Cape Coral where Rasmussen was working at the time. Rasmussen says crews told her that her berry smoothie turned into trouble when the Bullet’s motor malfunctioned.

This isn’t the first time customers have reported the compact blender bursting. A Google search reveals multiple headlines of lawsuits and claims that the appliance led to injuries.

“I felt like I was really lucky,” Rasmussen said grateful she wasn’t injured and there was no damage to her office.

NutriBullet sent Rasmussen a new bullet Thursday.

 “Now I’m scared to death to use the bullet. Do you think I’m gonna use it? Probably not.”

4 In Your Corner reached out to NutriBullet Thursday for a comment on the woman’s claims. The company responded Friday with the following statement:

"NutriBullet is dedicated to the safety and satisfaction of its customers. NutriBullet products are evaluated and certified under Underwriters Laboratory safety standards. The company is in the process of investigating Ms. Rasmussen's reported incident. To the company's knowledge, no NutriBullet has caused an electrical fire in circumstances similar to those reported in this case."