NewsLocal NewsLee County


Three injured in structure fire caused by generator

Posted at 3:55 PM, Oct 03, 2022
and last updated 2022-10-03 15:55:11-04

CAPE CORAL, Fla. — The Cape Coral Fire Department and mutual aid partners responded to a structure fire Sunday night on the 400 block of Northeast 12th Court.

Two residents suffered burns — one was transported to a burn center — while a third suffered from smoke inhalation and was taken to the Cape Coral Hospital.

CCFD said the fire was caused by an improperly maintained generator on the house's lanai. This is one of several generator-related incidents the department has responded to since Hurricane Ian.

Tips for generator safety from CCFD:

  • Keep your generator at least 20 feet away from your home
  • Never run a generator in an enclosed space, including garages and lanais
  • Make sure your generator is off and cool when you refuel it
  • If you are running a generator, you MUST have a carbon monoxide detector. Generators produce carbon monoxide, which can make you sick and even kill you if exposure is not caught in time.