CAPE CORAL, Fla. — Ladder 7 responded to a call of two people unconscious in a vehicle in a vacant lot in the 2700 block of NW 22nd Ave. The firefighters did not know, the patients were suffering from an overdose.
During treatment, Ladder 7’s crew became exposed to a powdered substance and had to be transported to the hospital for examination.
Cape Coral’s Hazardous Materials Team responded to identify the substance and confirmed it was fentanyl.
Three of the firefighters were cleared to return to work, and one firefighter was sent home as a safety precaution.