NewsLocal News

Actions

Clewiston football players plead for second chance after rap video

Posted: 12:35 AM, Sep 07, 2018
Updated: 2018-09-07 04:39:55Z

CLEWISTON, Fla., -- After three Clewiston High School football players were thrown off the team for appearing in a rap video, their families and supporters showed up to the bi-monthly school board meeting to ask for a second chance. 

“He has written another apology letter to the principal," said LaTwyiaen Carter, mother of Trayquan, one of the players kicked off the team. 

The letter is the third one Trayquan has written to the principal, according to Carter. 

Last week , the Hendry County Deputy Superintendent, Robert Egley, was clear that the boys should be off the team. 

“That type of behavior was so egregious and appalling that we cannot tolerate that at Clewiston High School," said Egley. 

However, this week the school board seemed to soften their position after hearing several testimonies from the players, their moms and people in the community. Several board members asked the Superintendent to reconsider the school's position. 

“I do not want to see this young man not be able to pursue his future," explained Amanda Nelson, school board member. 

Superintendent Paul Puletti explained in the meeting it was not the board's decision but instead the principal of Clewiston High. The board could only ask the school to reconsider. 

Puletti declined an interview with Fox 4, but says he plans on talking to the principal and athletic director on Monday. 

Hendry County Sheriff says they are investigating the night the video was filmed. They tell 4 in your corner, they are still investigating and could not comment at this time.