CHARLOTTE COUNTY, Fla. — The Charlotte County Sheriff's Office (CCSO) responded to a hostage situation in Port Charlotte early Friday morning involving a male suspect and two female victims.
Police and SWAT teams responded to the scene in the area of Granger Road and S. McCall Road around midnight.
Negotiators worked to deescalate the situationfor hours. According to CCSO, when they arrived on scene the suspect told deputies “This is a hostage situation. I have guns and I will use them!”
Teams were on the phone with the suspect, later identified as Jason Ritenour, for hours. Ritenour used various materials in the hose to build barricades and block the entrance to the room which the victims were held in.
Around 11:20 a.m., one of the female victims was able to exit the home to retrieve a package. That's when teams were able to execute a rescue and take Ritenour into custody.
No one was injured. CCSO says the relationship between Ritenour and the two victims is unknown at this time.
Ritenour faces the following charges:
- Kidnapping an Adult for Ransom or as a Shield
- Battery – Second or Subsequent Off
- Aggravated Battery Causes Great Bodily Harm
- Possession of Firearm Ammunition or Weapon by Florida Convicted Felon
- Convicted Felon Fails to Register
- Tampering with a Witness 3rd Deg Felony Proceeding
- Resisting Officer Without Violence
- Aggravated Assault with Deadly Weapon without Intent to Kill