CAPE CORAL, Fla. — Frustrations over trash pick up in Cape Coral seem to be getting out of hand.
So far this year, more than 1,000 missed pick-ups have been reported to the city, and its being blamed for sparking a confrontation Wednesday afternoon.
According to a Cape Coral police report, someone driving a red BMW convertible cornered a Waste Pro truck on SW 40th St and Surfside Blvd, asking why their bulk trash wasn’t picked up.
When the workers inside the truck explained they’re not assigned to those kinds of pick ups, the convertible driver reportedly said, “I have something for you,” and pulled out a semi-automatic gun.
Councilman Tom Hayden says he gets it. He’s going through his own problems with Waste Pro in his neighborhood.
“They still haven’t picked up the horticultural and it’s been what, 9 days now,” he said.
But, he says that’s no reason to turn to violence.
“We don’t want residents taking matters into their own hands like this. Especially using weapons,” he said.
No one was injured, according to the report. Cape Coral Police say they’re investigating this, but no arrests have been made yet.
A spokesperson for Waste Pro told Fox 4 they can’t comment on the active investigation. But, in a statement to Fox 4 last week, they attributed the pick-up problems to the nationwide driver shortage.
Hayden says the drivers did not deserve to be held at gunpoint at all, and Waste Pro leadership must resolve this issue.
“So that we can get back on schedule and get our garbage, horticultural and recycling picked up on the days that residents expect it to be picked up,” he said.
Next week on April 7th, Cape Coral City Council is holding a special workshop with Waste Pro, asking the company to present a clear plan of action for these problems. Hayden says the city is also considering withholding payment to Waste Pro.