LEE COUNTY, Fla. -- State health inspectors shut down a popular buffet restaurant Wednesday after finding numerous live roaches in the building.
Inspectors found two High Priority violations Wednesday at the Golden Corral on Pine Island Road and Andalusia Road in Cape Coral, and ordered a temporary shutdown until the violations are corrected.
According to inspection reports , the inspector found 11 basic violations, including grease accumulation, food stored on the floor, dead roaches on premises, and potentially hazardous food thawing conditions.
But inspectors also cited the restaurant for two high priority violations, including the observation of 18 live roaches in four locations.
A follow-up inspection Thursday revealed three remaining basic violations, and one high priority violation -- one live roach was observed in the server station.
UPDATE (2PM Thursday): This restaurant has reopened to the public.
Franchisee Earl C. Wilson issued this issued this statement to Fox 4 on Thursday.
"Our restaurant in Cape Coral, FL, has re-opened after closing briefly to address a pest issue. The restaurant passed an inspection by the Lee County Health Department earlier today and resumed service to our guests shortly afterward. The well-being of our guests and associates is our first priority."