As of May 19, 2018, the Avian Complex Fire in Big Cypress National Preserve is now over 82,000 acres and is 35% contained.
The Avian Complex is made up of three fires:
- Buzzard Fire: 62,404 acres, 8% contained
- Flamingo Fire: 11,689 acres, 5% contained
- Curlew Fire: 8,366 acres, 15% contained
Strong thunderstorms moved over the region Friday with heavy rain and lightning. Crews removed unneeded equipment and monitored the fires.
The following areas still remain closed:
- Dona Drive is closed to all public access
- Stairsteps: All lands in Zone 3. Zone 4 is closed to all public access by airboat
- Paces Dike Off-Road Vehicles (ORVs)
- Roberts Lake Trail south from Loop Road
- Lands east of Turner River Rd., west of BICY’s eastern boundary and north of Hwy. 41
- The Florida National Scenic Trail is closed from the Oasis Visitor Center to I-75 mile marker 63
- All BICY lands north of I-75 between Hwy. 29 and Bundschu Grade