Each week we show you a fun science experiment that will entertain the kids and keep them learning. In this groovy weather experiment kids will learn how to make homemade lava lamps.
- A bottle or jar with smooth sides
- Vegetable oil
- Food coloring
- Alka seltzer tablets
Steps for the experiment:
- Fill your bottle 1/4 of the way with water.
- Fill the rest with the oil and wait for the water and oil to separate.
- Add a few drops of food coloring to the mix.
- Drop half a tablet of Alka Seltzer into the jar and watch the bubbly blobs form.
Density is a big factor in this experiment just like it is in weather forecasts. The water is more dense than the oil which is why is sinks to the bottom of the bottle.
The tablet release a gas called carbon dioxide which floats to the top because gas is lighter than water in liquid form.