CHARLOTTE COUNTY, Fla. — Charlotte County has opened refuge in response to Hurricane Eta. Residents who live in low-lying areas, areas prone to flooding, or immediately near the water should be aware there is a storm surge warning in effect. Continue to monitor conditions closely and leave your home if you feel unsafe.
Charlotte County has opened a refuge at Centennial Park recreation center, 1120 Centennial Blvd., in Port Charlotte.
Refuges are not equipped to supply food, water or other provisions. If you evacuate to a refuge, plan to take the following items to sustain yourself and dependents:
• Food and drinking water
• A change of clothing, toiletries and personal items
• Blankets or sleeping bag, pillow
• Games, toys, books, or other entertainment
• Special items for dietary needs, infants or elderly family members
• Battery operated radio and flashlight with extra batteries
The refuge is pet-friendly for dogs and cats. Pet owners are liable for any damages caused by their pet.