JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — Governor Ron DeSantis says gyms and fitness centers in the state can reopen.
Speaking at a press conference in Jacksonville on Friday, the governor said the change starts on Monday, May 18. The governor called the move a "full Phase One."
"Don't we want people getting exercise?" DeSantis said. "I think this is good, I think this is important."
According to the governor's reopening plan, under Phase One gyms and fitness centers can reopen with the following guidelines:
- Operate at no more than 50% of building capacity
- Adhere to strict social distancing and sanitation protocols, including cleaning and disinfecting all surfaces
- Separate patrons by at least 6 feet
- Encourage appointment only or scheduled use of equipment
- Prohibit indoor group sessions or classes
"The American people never signed up for perpetual shelter-in-place," DeSantis said.