Two Publix employees were taken to the hospital late Tuesday morning after the Publix grocery store in downtown Fort Myers was evacuated due to some type of leak investigation.
The evacuation happened around 11 a.m. at the Publix on McGregor Boulevard near downtown.
The Fort Myers Fire Department was called to the store for a suspected gas leak and arrived to find store employees actively evacuating customers from the store.
Two employees reported breathing difficulties and were taken to the hospital.
A HAZMAT team investigated the store and found no evidence of a combustible gas, and is having a contractor inspect the store's air conditioning system.
The store was expected to be back open around 1:30 p.m.