WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. — Governor DeSantis held a press conference to propose new measures to safeguard the sanctity of Florida elections.
“Florida had the most transparent election in the country,” said Governor DeSantis.
DeSantis discussed ballot harvesting, the issue of mass mailing, and private interest groups during the meeting.
Blaise Ingoglia, former republican chairman, will be working with DeSantis on some of the issues regarding the elections.
The proposed legislation would include the following measures:
- Address the use of ballot drop boxes.
- Address ballot harvesting so that no person may possess ballots other than their own and their immediate family.
- No mass mailing of vote-by-mail ballots—only voters who request a ballot should receive a ballot.
- Vote-by-mail requests must be made each election year.
- Vote by mail ballot signatures must match the most recent signature on file.
Transparency in the Elections Process
- Political parties and candidates cannot be shut out from observing the signature matching process.
- Supervisors of Elections must post over-vote ballots to be considered by the canvassing board on their website before the canvassing board meets.
- Prohibits counties from receiving grants from private third-party organizations for “get out the vote” initiatives.
Transparency in Elections Reporting
- Requires real-time reporting of voter turnout data at the precinct level.
- Supervisors of Elections must report how many ballots have been requested, how many have been received, and how many are left to be counted.
"Blaise and I hope to be back we will have a podium and we will have a desk and we will sign the bill. and it will be another promise that was made and another promise that was kept in the State of Florida," said DeSantis.
WATCH PRESS CONFERENCE HERE