News

Actions

Sanibel condo fire leaves 1 injured

Posted at 2:53 PM, Dec 18, 2016
and last updated 2016-12-19 06:33:43-05

SANIBEL ISLAND, Fla. -- One person was taken to the hospital after a fire broke out at the Blind Pass Condominium on Sanibel Island, according to a press release.

Police responded to the fire around 1:25 p.m. Sunday afternoon.

Sanibel Fire District and Sanibel Police with assistance of multiple off-island districts were responding to the fire.

Alarmed neighbors told Fox 4 they saw black smoke from the beach. "All the sudden we look behind us, saw smoke flying up and we were just hoping it wasn't our condo," said vacationer JL Buchanan.

Emily Adams, a concerned neighbor, asked the family if they were okay as they were standing outside the unit. Family members say the fire broke out after a laptop exploded on top of a mattress."The father was pacing and distressed. He was burned on his hands, up his arms and on his face and chest," she said. Adam's witnessed the mans daughter crying. "She said 'I was just on my computer and there was a loud pop and the mattress caught on fire."

Acting quickly, the father tried to get the mattress out of the condo, landing him in the hospital with burns. Fire fighters extinguished the blaze by 3 P.M. The man's wife and kids were not injured.

The flame has some neighbors in the complex thinking twice about safety when it comes to using some of their gadgets. "Some of this stuff is a little bit older here, so we decided before we leave just to unplug everything so that wouldn't happen," said Buchanan.