MATLACHA, Fla. — Florida Fish and Wildlife have announced new flounder regulations for Florida.
The new regulations start on March 1st.
The regulations were put in place after a commission meeting revealed flounder fisheries statewide have been on the decline due to overfishing.
- The regulations will extend into federal waters.
- The minimum size will increase from 12 inches to 15 inches in total length.
- The season will now be from October 15th to November 30th.
- The daily bag limit will now be 5 fish per person.
- For commercial harvesters using allowable gear: Establishing a commercial trip and vessel limit of 150 fish from Dec. 1 – Oct. 14, and 50 fish from Oct. 15 – Nov. 30.
- Modifying the incidental bycatch limit for commercial harvesters using non-allowable gear from 50 pounds/trip to 50 fish/trip.
- Creating a federal waters trawl bycatch limit of 150 fish/trip from Dec. 1 – Oct. 14, and 50 fish/trip from Oct. 15 – Nov. 30.