Mother: Girl, 4, fell deathly ill after ingesting pool water

Posted at 4:54 PM, Apr 24, 2018
and last updated 2018-04-25 06:35:51-04

SARASOTA, Fla. (AP) - A Florida woman says her 4-year-old daughter nearly died after ingesting pool water.

Lacey Grace tells the Tampa Bay Times that her daughter, Elianna Grace, had thrown up immediately after accidentally swallowing pool water earlier this month, but fell ill two days later. She was taken to urgent care with a fever and low appetite, where doctors advised going to the emergency room.

In a Facebook post, Lacey Grace says her daughter had a high heart rate, low oxygen and purple skin that suggested a chemical infection. She told the newspaper that doctors at Sarasota Memorial Hospital diagnosed the girl with aspiration pneumonia, chemical pneumonitis and perihilar edema.
She was hospitalized from April 18 to 21, relying on oxygen to breathe. Her mother says she's now doing better.

(Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)