Three pets killed in Fort Myers house fire

FORT MYERS, Fla. - A house fire in Fort Myers sent one man to the hospital and left three pets dead. The blaze broke out just after 1:00 a.m. Thursday morning on the 2800 block of Renee Court, south of Palm Beach Blvd. That's in the Buckingham area of Fort Myers.

According to a fire marshal at the scene, it all started when a resident was smoking a cigar and tried to put it out, but an oxygen line caught fire.

The man's wife and her daughter put the fire out and took the man to the hospital due to first and second degree burns all over his body. The man is still in the hospital.

However, the fire did rekindle again and spread throughout the home. 

The family's cat and two dogs were killed in the fire. The family is burying their pets in their backyard. Luckily, crews were able to save the daughter's three rabbits.

The mother is in disbelief and devastated over what happened. A neighbor shared some dramatic video of the fire. In the footage, you can see the flames shooting from the roof.

It took crews about 30 minutes to put out the fire.There is a lot of smoke damage and the fire destroyed part of the house. Now the family homeless. The house is about three quarters of the way destroyed says, Fort Myers Shores fire captain Sam Summerall. Right now, the American Red Cross is helping the family.

The fire marshal has ruled the fire accidental.

Print this article Back to Top