FORT MYERS BEACH, Fla-- A world famous sand artist will be creating designs across Fort Myers Beach this week. A local group brought in Boyd the Sand Artist hoping more people would join their cause to rebuild stone arches that once welcomed visitors to the beach.
“These arches were a signal that you were at the beach and it was such as happy thing for you to come under there," said Boyd.
Boyd plans to use Fort Myers Beach as his canvas starting Tuesday as he creates designs that pay homage to the old arches.
As a former Fort Myers Beach Native— Boyd jumped at the opportunity to help the group behind this restoration project. After welcoming people to the beach for decades, the arches were knocked down in 1979 to make way for the Matanzas Pass Bridge.
“They’ve actually taken a team out to the site where they dumped the rocks from the arches and found it.”
The groups goal hopes create something similar to the arches out of the old stones, but they want the community's help. That's where Boyd comes into the plan. He will create five designs throughout the week that are completely free for people to come and visit.
Boyd is known around the world for his work. He creates elaborate and massive works of art while using tools like a lead rake.
“Some are as big as an small airport runway, I just did one not too long ago.”
Boyd said this cause is close to his heart. He hopes his art will attract more people to the cause, and get people out of the house to enjoy our slice of paradise.
“It’s a distancing friendly type of event that’s meant to bring awareness to the arches."
Locations and times for artwork:
1. The 1st Artwork will be done at Beach at the Gateway Villas. Ft. Myers Beach Florida, 500 Estero Blvd, Fort Myers Beach, Florida 33931 work on this artwork starts June 2nd at 9 AM.
2. The 2nd Artwork will be done at Wyndham Garden Fort Myers Beach 6890 Estero Blvd., Fort Myers Beach, Florida 33931 work on this artwork starts June 3rd at 9 AM.
3. The 3rd Artwork will be done at Lani Kai Island Resort
1400 Estero Blvd, Fort Myers Beach, Florida 33931 work on this artwork starts June 4th at 9 AM.
4. The 4th Artwork will be done at South End of Estero Island 8573 Estero Blvd, Fort Myers Beach, FL 33931 work on this artwork starts June 5th at 9 AM.
5. The 5th Artwork will be on the North End Of Estero Island Vacation Villas, 100 Estero Blvd, Fort Myers Beach, FL 33931 work on this artwork starts Saturday, June 6th at 9 AM.
6. The 6th Artwork is in a surprise location, you have to find him, work on this artwork starts Sunday, June 7th at 9 AM. Once the word gets out it won't be hard to find.
7. The 7th Artwork is in the most unusual location, hint it is by a bridge. You have to find him, work on this artwork starts Monday, June 8th at 9 AM.