CHARLOTTE COUNTY, Fla. -- Authorities are asking residents to be on the lookout for suspicious activity in their neighborhoods as the holidays approach.
According to the Charlotte County Sheriff's Office, thieves are often on the lookout for delivery packages on front porches.
They recommend these helpful tips to stop these package poachers:
- Lock boxes: You can build or purchase a rugged lock box for your porch. Bolt it down to a permanent surface, concrete or asphalt work well.
- Timely package collection: Pick up your package immediately after delivery, or have a neighbor collect it. UPS, USPS, and FedEx all have tracking services to get a better idea of when exactly your order will arrive.
- Have your package delivered to you at work, so you can accept it immediately.
- Require a signature on all deliveries and insure your packages when possible.
- Security cameras: Security cameras are a tried and true deterrent for all manner of criminal behavior. Thieves are very aware of cameras and often look for them before attempting theft.
- Security signs: Post sign in your yard informing the poacher that your home is under video surveillance or has security alarms.
Residents can report suspicious activity immediately to the Charlotte County Sheriff’s Office at 941-639-0013.