NewsLocal News


Port Charlotte family loses home to fire started by candle

Posted at 6:55 AM, Sep 06, 2018
and last updated 2018-09-06 07:31:54-04

PORT CHARLOTTE, Fla.- A Charlotte County family lost their home Wednesday, Sep. 5 after a fire broke out.

Charlotte County Fire and EMS responded to the call on Roseway Ter. around 9:25 p.m. 

The fire began in a closet when an eleven-year-old child was playing with a candle and knocked it over.

The child then attempted to put out the fire with a towel, causing it to spread.

No injuries were reported, but two of the family's five cats died in the fire.

The Red Cross has reached out to the family to assist because the house was deemed uninhabitable.