All of us here and Fox 4 want to pay tribute to our colleagues who were killed Thursday at the Capital Gazette in Annapolis, Maryland.
The victims are:
- Wendi Winters. A 65-year-old mother of four who moved to Maryland 20 years ago and began writing for the Annapolis news. Family members say she was "dedicated and loved the work."
- Rebecca Smith. A 34-year-old sales assistant, she was a recent hire. Her boss says she was a valuable asset to the newspaper and "made sure the sales office ran smoothly."
- Robert Hiaasen. A 59-year-old editor who celebrated his 33rd wedding anniversary last week. He leaves behind a wife and three children.
- Gerald Fischman. A 61-year-old editorial writer. He worked with the Annapolis News for 25-years and was said to be quiet but brilliant at his work. He married late in life and leaves behind his wife
- John McNamara. A 56-year-old sports reporter who worked for the newspaper for 24-year-years. He saw his position as his dream job. McNamara, who went by Mac, was remembered as a concise writer with an extensive knowledge for sports. He leaves behind his wife who he met while attending the University of Maryland.
A memorial was placed outside of the Capital Gazette building to honor the journalists who died.