News

Actions

More charges in Diana Alvarez's disappearance

Posted at 3:54 PM, Aug 15, 2017
and last updated 2017-08-15 22:22:41-04

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- The Lee County Sheriff's Office has announced the suspect in the disappearance of 9-year-old Diana Alvarez is facing additional charges.

Investigators have now charged Jorge Guerrero with lewd or lascivious molestation of a child under 12 years of age and battery of a child by expelling seminal fluid. They say they're certain Guerrero sexually abused Diana while he was living in their home.

Documents uncovered earlier in the year revealed Guerrero admitted to engaging in sexual activity with Diana on a weekly basis, but Guerrero was not charged until Tuesday. Diana's mom, Rita Hernandez, said she's happy about the charges, but is still holding out hope Guerrero will confess to his involvement in Diana's disappearance.

"I just want him to say "You know what, I can't take this anymore." Wherever he has Diana, confess, and all this can be over," Hernandez said.

Undersheriff Carmine Marceno said during Tuesday's press conference the sheriff's office is confident Guerrero played a role in Diana's disappearance, but Guerrero has not been charged in the disappearance itself.

"I can tell you this," he said. "As the Undersheriff standing in front of you, I'm certain this won't be the last update in this case."

"If you're listening Diana, escape. Call 911. Please. We are completely lost without you," Hernandez said.

Guerrero is currently serving a 40 year sentence for child pornography, which stemmed from a missing persons investigation connected to the disappearance of Diana Alvarez in May 2016. He was sentenced on Monday.

Law enforcement officials have not found Alvarez, but say that the investigation is still active. 

The attorney of Diana Alvarez's family said he's ecstatic about the charges and are hopeful Guerrero will admit where Diana is now that he's facing the possibility of more prison time.