NewsLocal NewsLee County


House fire on Pine Island caused by overloaded generator

Posted at 11:12 PM, Oct 28, 2022
and last updated 2022-10-29 12:30:15-04

CAPE CORAL, Fla. — The Cape Coral Fire Department responded to a residential structure fire on the 1700 block of SW Pine Island Road last night around 9:45 p.m.

The home was located down a dirt road surrounded by woods. When crews arrived at the scene, the home was fully engulfed in flames.

Firefighters had to shuttle water to the scene using a water tender. Matlacha/Pine Island Fire Control District brought their tender and assisted with providing water supply as well.

Cape Coral Police Department blocked the eastbound lanes of Pine Island Road so firefighters could safely work.

While the building was deemed a total loss, it was determined that no occupants were home at the time of the fire. Firefighters were able to prevent the fire from spreading to nearby woods.

The fire was determined to be caused by an overloaded generator that short circuited. CCFD said storm damage had prevented LCEC from restoring power to the home, so a generator was still being used.

The five residents of the home have all found somewhere else to stay in the meantime. CCFD said there were no injuries.