Homemade slime dangers

Posted at 11:15 PM, Mar 28, 2017
and last updated 2017-03-28 23:15:39-04

Many kids love playing with homemade ooey-gooey slime, but a common ingredient in the slime can be dangerous to your health! 

It's called borax, a household cleaner that can be harmful if inhaled. The risk of inhaling as the smile is pretty low, but the danger comes when mixing the Borax in the process of making the slime. Although it's a natural chemical, it can be lethal in kids and adults in higher doses. 

Dr. Amy Romashko of the Children's Hospital of Wisconsin says to have adults do the measuring and so the Borax mixture does not have as much exposure to children. 

Symptoms to watch for include respiratory complaints and eye irritation. Another option to keep your family safe is to make slime without Borax, which works just as well.