NewsLocal News


Two hostages rescued, gunman deceased in Fort Myers standoff

Screen Shot 2021-01-21 at 3.27.45 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-21 at 3.26.39 AM.png
Posted at 4:39 AM, Jan 21, 2021
and last updated 2021-01-21 17:59:38-05


Local law agencies successfully removed two individuals from a hostage situation that endured throughout the morning. The gunman is deceased from what appears to be a self-inflicted wound.

According to Fort Myers Police Chief Diggs, at about 2 a.m., police received several reports of gunshots at 2102 Dora Street.

As officers arrived arrived on scene and were met with gunfire. Officers were forced to fire back at the suspect, who then barricaded in the home for the next 12 plus hours.

More officers were called, as this was now considered a barricaded gunman situation. Specialized teams were deployed in efforts to safely resolve the situation.

With technology such as drones and robots, the SWAT team was able rescue two people from inside the home without injury at around 10 a.m. The suspect was continually firing shots throughout the morning.

Law enforcement continued to negotiate with the gunman and after learning his identity, reached out to family and acquaintances to try and help resolve the situation peacefully.

Eventually, non-lethal weapons and gas were introduced in efforts to remove him and additional resources from Lee and Collier Sheriff's Offices were requested.

Officers were able to locate the individual and breach the residence. They found a semi-automatic rifle and a handgun. The gunman was found with what officers believe to be a self-inflicted wound, pending investigation. He was removed and transported to the hospital via EMS. The gunman was pronounced deceased at Lee Memorial Hospital.

There are no reported injuries.

The identity of the individuals involved have not been released.

The events are still under investigation.

UPDATE (10 AM) -- Fort Myers Police say a SWAT team went in and extracted a female and a male from the home within the last twenty-five minutes.

The two extracted will not be facing charges; they were not involved.

The man who has been barricaded is still in the home; they are still trying to negotiate with him.


UPDATE (8:07 AM)-- Fort Myers High School has made the decision to place the school on a lock out of an abundance of caution.
UPDATE (6:45 AM)-- Schools in the area will not be closed.


Fort Myers Police and SWAT are in the area of Dora Street and Grand Avenue.


A man has barricaded himself in his home.

Negotiators on scene trying to talk to subject out.

The Lee County Sheriff's Office provided its SWAT team.

FMPD says neighbors in this area had been evacuated.

There are no injuries reported.

They are asking that the public avoid the area.

This story is breaking, and we will continue to update you with the latest information as we receive it.