Fire at Marco Island Hilton forces guests to relocate

Posted at 7:30 PM, Jun 12, 2017
and last updated 2017-06-13 07:27:03-04

An electrical fire at the Hilton Resort and Spa on Marco Island Friday forced all of the hotel's guests to relocate, and staff aren't sure when they can begin booking rooms again.

The fire at the Hilton, located at 560 South Collier Boulevard, was in an electrical area on the hotel's 9th floor. 

"The manager came around to everybody that happened to be at the pool, and said (they) were evacuating the whole building," said Kevin Bedat-Fitzpatrick, who was staying at the Hilton with his wife. "It wasn't safe."

While fire crews quickly put out the electrical fire, staff decided that repair work for smoke and water damage would require all the guests to leave for several days. Many guests were relocated to the Marriott down the street.

Bedat-Fitzpatrick said while staff did their best to make arrangements in finding over 200 guests another place to stay, some guests made the fact that they were not happy loud and clear.

"That brings out the stress in a lot of people," Bedat-Fitzpatrick said. "Some police officers had to be called, but nothing major happened other than that."

Electrical and clean-up crews were at the Hilton all day Monday, and there is no timeline for when it will re-open. 

"While damage was minimal, we will remain closed until the issue is completely resolved," Hilton Managing Director Vincent Bucci said in a statement. "We will update the public as soon as we re-open."