NewsLocal News

Actions

Family escapes fire despite faulty smoke detector

Posted at 5:22 AM, Jan 25, 2018
and last updated 2018-01-25 05:22:32-05

A family of four was forced out of their apartment unit after an early morning fire Thursday. 

Fort Myers Fire & Rescue received a call about the fire at The Park at Murano Apartments in Fort Myers around 2:30 a.m. The fire erupted in the kitchen, according to Fort Myers Fire Battalion Chief Chris Bevan. 

The mother told firefighters she awoke to smoke inside of the apartment and then ran outside with her children. 

A smoke detector was found inside of the home, but it was not working. Fire officials say the family is fortunate they woke up when they did.