COLLIER COUNTY, Fla. -- Deputies with the Collier County Sheriff's Office's Aggressive Driving Unit and Motors Unit, along with the Florida Highway Patrol, conducted another school bus enforcement detail Tuesday morning.
They say they conducted 14 traffic stops and issued the following:
- 1 warning
- 7 citations for passing a school bus with lights and stop sign activated
- 3 citations for passing traffic in a bike lane
- 2 citations for red light violations
- 1 citation for a blue light on a vehicle
School Bus Safety Tips for Motorists
- Be alert and watch for children especially near schools, bus stops, school buses and in school parking lots.
- Children on bicycles can be unpredictable and can make sudden changes in direction. Be especially careful when children are present in school zones and residential areas.
- Pay extra attention to lower speed limits in school zones.
- Watch for and obey signals from school crossing guards.
- Only drive or park in authorized areas to drop off or pick up children at school.
- Motorists are required to stop when approaching a school bus that is stopped with its red lights flashing and STOP arms extended.
- All drivers moving in either direction on a two-way street must stop for a school bus displaying a stop signal, and must remain stopped until the road is clear of children AND the school bus stop arm is withdrawn.
- On a highway divided by a paved median, all drivers moving in either direction must stop for a school bus displaying a stop signal, and must remain stopped until the road is clear of children AND the school bus stop arm is withdrawn.
- The only time traffic approaching an oncoming school bus does not need to stop, is if there is a raised barrier such as a concrete divider or at least five feet of unpaved space separating the lanes of traffic.
- On a highway divided by a raised barrier or an unpaved median at least 5 feet wide, drivers moving in the opposite direction do not have to stop for the bus (painted lines or pavement markings are not considered barriers). However, these motorists should slow down and watch for students loading or unloading from the bus.
Penalties for passing stopped school bus include:
- Moving violation subject to citation;
- Requirement to complete a basic Driver Improvement Course upon conviction;
- Four points on your driver license; and
- Minimum fine of $165, if you pass on the side where children enter and exit, you will receive a minimum fine of $265.