CHARLOTTE COUNTY, Fla. -- With concerns rising about the safety of users playing the hugely popular Pokemon Go game, the Punta Gorda Police Department is offering free safety equipment they hope players will wear while out and about.
The mobile app is being praised by some for requiring users to wander about and explore their surroundings to catch characters in the game. But that has resulted in some players venturing into dangerous or poorly-lit areas.
In an effort to prevent accidents from happening, PGPD is offering free reflective vests and flashing lights to anyone who requests them at the police department, located at 1410 Tamiami Trail.
They also offer the following advice while hunting Pokemon.
• Users need to respect places of businesses and private property.
• Don’t wander around distracted! Be aware of where you are and who is around you at all times.
• Don’t try to catch Pokémon and drive - distracted driving is a major safety hazard.
• Distracted walking is also a major hazard. Pay attention to where you are walking and be aware of intersections and busy roads.
• Don’t play alone. Users should travel in groups and again, practice situational awareness.
• Report any suspicious behavior to law enforcement.