Dog owners warn of deadly toads

Couple's dog poisoned by Cane toad
Posted at 10:27 PM, Sep 20, 2016
and last updated 2016-09-21 06:18:37-04

Cane toads are non-native species to Florida.  They are reddish brown and secret poison from their backside that can kill a small dog in seconds.

That's what happened to Laurie and Jay Pall's 13-year-old Jack Russell Terrier, Indy.

"I wanted to save her life, I'm not ready to lose her," said Laurie Pall.

Despite their best efforts, they could not save Indy, after she came into contract with a Cane toad near their Estero Home Monday night.

"You can't imagine a dog shaking as hard as it was shaking, you can't shake it that hard," said Jay.

Dr. Mary Lociero with Animal Specialty Hospital of Naples said Laurie did the right thing by washing the dog's mouth out with water, but that doesn't guarantee the animal will survive.

"Once they start seizuring then we have to become very aggressive with our treatment, and some of the animals that get a lot of the toxin may not survive," said Lociero.

Herbert Holcomb and his wife also own a Terrier, Lucy was treated twice for coming into contact with one of these large toads.

"She grabbed it (the toad) and immediately released it, and got the toxin in her mouth but it was too late," said Holcomb.

Holcomb isn't taking any chances the next time he walks Lucy, she'll have a special muzzle on that allow her to breath but separate her from the toad.

Although both Holcomb and Pall's stories have different endings, they share a common interest.

"I wish no one would go through what we went through last night."

Cane toads are usually present at night, especially if it rains, so if possible walk your dog early in the evening.

Keep your dog leashed, especially Terriers and Yorkies because they usually chase after smaller critters.