CAPE CORAL, Fla -- The Fourth of July weekend is fast approaching, as coronavirus cases in Florida continue to surge. It's why some counties have already announced beaches will shut down again.
The latest numbers show the state has topped 141,000-thousand cases. Miami-Dade and Broward counties lead the state with the most number of cases, and both have announced beaches will shut down for the holiday weekend.
Miami-Dade also said it will restrict gatherings or parades of more than 50-people and the viewing of the fireworks show will be limited.
Fox 4 reached out to local leaders to see whether they expect to order similar shut downs on Southwest Florida beaches. So far, Fort Myers Beach Mayor Ray Murphy responded and said its something he plans to discuss with council members.
These discussions follow a push from the governor Sunday, who said social interaction among young people is driving the surge in confirmed cases.
He said the fear is younger people who live with older relatives may infect those in groups who can get more severely sick with COVID-19. He also pointed to bars and pubs that were not following mandated guidelines as a reason for this spike in younger cases.