FORT MYERS, Fla. — Governor DeSantis’ safer at home order prompted Lee County commissioners to hold an emergency meeting in downtown Fort Myers.
Commissioner Brian Hamman says governor DeSantis’' safer at home order was inevitable.
“If the public was going to stop taking the stay at home idea seriously and if the businesses were going to stop taking it seriously, then that’s when you kind of force the government to mandate something,” said Brian Hamman.
The order will be in place until April 30th.
“I don’t want anybody to be under the impression that today’s executive order magically waved a wand a cured the disease we are in for a hard month, ” said Hamman.
Florida's cases of coronavirus now stand within some of the highest in the nation.
“This was an effort to do our part to try to slow the spread of the disease, to keep the hospitals from being overwhelmed and to do the very best we can to care for people who will ultimately get the disease,” said Brian Hamman.
Under the new order, you will be allowed to get gas, groceries, take care of pets, and do some recreational activities.
Councilman Kevin Anderson of Fort Myers recently announced he has tested positive for COVID-19 after traveling on a cruise earlier this month.
He warns the community to take this seriously.
“Take all the proper precautions, follow the CDC guidelines, follow the social distancing. Don’t put yourself or other people in harms way with this,” said Councilman Anderson.
Anyone caught violating this new executive order could face a $500 fine or up to 60 days in jail.
“Now you know what the expectation is, you are your best protection and you are the one we are going to expect to make good decisions for yourself,” said Brian Hamman.
Starting Friday, April 3rd at 12:01 am all nonessential businesses will be forced to close.