LEE COUNTY, Fla. — Lee Health needs convalescent plasma.
Donations will help refill supply levels.
Convalescent plasma refers to blood plasma collected from people who have recovered from COVID-19. That plasma is then used to treat others with COVID-19.
The procedure is the same as any routine blood donation.
After donation, the blood is processed in the lab to obtain the plasma component. The patient is transfused with the donor’s convalescent plasma, which contains antibodies that may attack the virus and may help the patient recover more rapidly.
Here’s how the donation program works at Lee Health:
- Individuals who have previously tested positive for COVID-19 whose symptoms have resolved for at least 14 days can volunteer to donate blood.
- Donors are screened by clinical personnel with questions and tests to make sure they are appropriate to donate blood that will be processed to make COVID-19 convalescent plasma.
- To volunteer, call 239-343-2332 or email COVID.plasma@LeeHealth.org.
- Documented routine blood donation consent is required; forms provided by Lee Health.
- If potential donors are appropriate, an appointment for blood donation is scheduled at a Lee Health donation site.
All donations collected by Lee Health stay in our community and are used exclusively for Lee Health patients.