CAPE CORAL, Fla -- Opinions are certainly split following Tuesday’s decision to reopen Marco Island beaches next week. The decision comes as a Florida judge struck down a lawsuit concerning safety at the beaches during COVID-19.
Marco Island beaches will re-open Monday. They'll be the only beaches open in Southwest Florida as the pandemic continues. They'll be open from sun up to sun down, but only to pedestrians. The parking lots will remain closed to limit visitors.
At a meeting Tuesday, those in favor of the decision said they can always close the beaches again if the re-opening draws large crowds. But those opposed said keeping the shut down in place would have made more
The decision comes as a circuit judge in Florida's panhandle dismissed a lawsuit seeking to force Governor DeSantis to close beaches throughout the state. It was filed late last month arguing that the governor's refusal to issue a statewide shutdown of beaches put Floridians at risk.
But that judge said he believes the state constitution gives the governor discretion about handling emergencies. He added that "second guessing" such a decision from the governor, would violate separation-of-powers.