FORT MYERS, Fla. -- Breaking developments Monday in the school sex scandal that rocked South Fort Myers High School earlier this year.
The Lee County superintendent now says that varsity football head coach Anthony Dixon, who also worked as a security guard for the district, will be re-employed.
In Monday's statement from Superintendent Gregory Adkins, he says he spoke with Dixon Monday afternoon to discuss his future, and they both agreed that termination was "not in his, or the district's best interest."
Dixon will remain an employee of the school district, although he will not remain at South Fort Myers High School, nor will he be allowed to coach any sport for the remainder of the year.
"Every day we make decisions with the best interests of our children in mind. That is what we’re doing in this case. We can’t undo what happened last May, but we can learn from it, grow from it and be stronger and more unified because of it," write Adkins.