CHARLOTTE COUNTY, Fla. - Punta Gorda city officials provided this update on post-storm recovery efforts Tuesday morning.
City offices will be closed Tuesday, September 12, 2017 to the public. Designated employees from Administration, Public Safety (Police and Fire), Building, Public Works (Canal Maintenance and Sanitation) and Utilities continue to work in response to the storm.
At this time, most streets have been cleared but several remain flooded in the historic downtown area. Residents should use caution when navigating throughout the City. In addition, at least 10 streetlights remain inoperable. Drivers are reminded to treat these intersections as four-way stops. We urge residents to delay their return, allowing City staff and the various utility companies an opportunity to restore basic necessary services. As a reminder, the Charlotte County curfew is still in affect 9:00PM – 6:00AM.
• Seawall failures can be reported by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling Public Works at 941-575-5050.
• Road signs that are missing or damaged can be reported by emailing email@example.com or by calling Public Works at 941-575-5050.
• Regular sanitation services will resume Tuesday, with the exception of recycling. Citizens are being asked to pile any yard waste and debris in one central location near the right of way for a special pickup yet to be scheduled. Additional sanitation issues or questions can be addressed by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling Public Works at 941-575-5050.
• Crews are working to reopen all of our City facilities. The flood proofing panels at Herald Court Centre will be removed and open Wednesday. For more information, call Public Works at 941- 575-5050.
• Residents needing to make emergency repairs may begin work prior to obtaining a building permit. Please call the Building Department at 941-575-5548 for more information.
• Contractor related issues or problems can be reported by calling Building at 941-575-5548.
• Business signs that are damaged or missing can be reported by emailing email@example.com or by calling Code Compliance at 941-575-5546.
• City of Punta Gorda Utilities Department customers who experience a loss of water service or sewer issues are asked to call 941-628-4602.
Please be patient when calling to report problems or issues as City staff is responding to higher than normal call volumes.
Media and public can follow Charlotte County Emergency Management important emergency information at www.charlottecountyfl.gov, www.facebook.com/oemcharlottecounty, and www.twitter.com/ccoem.
Information obtained from City of Punta Gorda.