FORT MYERS, Fla. — Dog owners were beaming on Wednesday as they returned to the beach with their canines.
Like many local parks, the ever-popular "Dog Beach" near Lover's Key State Park has been closed for weeks because of the pandemic.
But now it's back open!
4 In Your Corner Photojournalist, Curt Tremper interviewed several dog owners who say they and their pets were thrilled to be back at the beach after weeks of being at home.
The park is run by Lee County, whose website offers these reminders if you go:
- Plan your trip accordingly since the area is a tidal flat and subject to incoming and outgoing tide.
- This park does not have restrooms and instead has a portable toilet
- Doggie shower stations have been provided by a private donor to rinse your dog before leaving the park
- NO glass containers or alcohol allowed
- You are responsible for yourself, your dog and its behavior
- Join us in our Do Your Duty campaign and pick up the waste. Pet Waste that is left uncollected degrades water quality.
The park is at 8800 Estero Boulevard, Fort Myers Beach, 33931, and is open dawn to dusk.