NewsNational NewsScripps News


Kansas City parade shooting believed to have started as "personal dispute"

Police said that they have three individuals in custody following the shooting.
1 dead, 10-15 injured in shooting at Chiefs victory parade
Posted at 3:14 PM, Feb 14, 2024

UPDATE: At a press conference on Thursday, The Kansas City Police Department
says the tragedy at the Kansas City Chiefs Superbowl victory rally started as a
personal dispute.

Kansas City Police Chief Stacey Graves says 1 one person has died and 29 others were wounded.

Three people have been detained, but not charged at the time of this article.

Police say half of the victims are under the age of 16.

There is no link, police say, to terrorism or extremism.


At least one person was killed and 21 others, including children, were wounded in a shooting at the Kansas City Chiefs Super Bowl victory rally.

"We had eight what we considered immediately life-threatening patients. We had seven with life-threatening injuries and we had six that had minor injuries," said Kansas City Fire Chief Ross Grundyson. 

Children’s Mercy reports that it is treating 12 patients from the rally. Eleven of the victims are children aged six to fifteen, and the hospital reports that nine of them sustained gunshot wounds, but none are critically injured, and they anticipate a full recovery for everyone.

While authorities have not disclosed the names of all the victims, radio station KKFI announced their DJ, Lisa Lopez, was killed in the shooting. 

"It is with sincere sadness and an extremely heavy and broken heart that we let our community know that KKFI DJ Lisa Lopez, host of Taste of Tejano lost her life  today in the shooting at the KC Chiefs' rally. Our hearts and prayers are with her family," the station shared on Facebook.

The Kansas City Police Department responded to the shooting near Union Station around 2 p.m. local time Wednesday. As the Chiefs wrapped up on stage during their celebratory rally, attendees quickly dispersed, and then ambulances were seen rushing to the scene along with officers who had their guns drawn. 

Police initially said two people were detained. However, in an update Wednesday afternoon, Kansas City Police Chief Stacey Graves said three people were in custody. 

Police reportedly recovered firearms from the scene, but Graves did not specify how many guns or the types that were recovered.

The police chief added that there were about 800 law enforcement officers at the rally when the shooting occurred. 

"We also know that officers ran towards danger; officers were there to keep everyone safe," Graves said.

The White House said the president has been briefed on the situation and will continue to receive updates. 

Trending stories at