Two in custody after early morning search

Posted at 7:24 AM, Apr 13, 2016
and last updated 2016-04-13 19:00:34-04
Two people were arrested Wednesday following an hours-long search in Fort Myers  that forced police to place a neighborhood on lockdown. 
The search took place in the area of Market Street and Evans avenue around 5 a.m. Wednesday morning. 

Fox 4 went to the duplex where authorities tracked down the two suspects. No one was home;however, a man living across the street from the duplex says he was sleeping when his street went on lockdown. 
"There were helicopters going over and I think I did hear that but I thought it was a train down the road," said Darrell Gates. 
He says he was surprised when he found out that sound was Fort Myers Police. 
"I'm very concerned that it happened around here," said Gates. "It's kind of frightening to think that happened in this neighborhood." 
Investigators haven't released information yet on what prompted the search, but neighbors say it started after a shooting nearby. 
"I was like wow, good thing I left for work before they came out cause I rather be away with something like that going on." 
A neighbor, who did not want to be identified, shared video of parts the search he captured on his surveillance cameras. 
"My dad called me about 4:30, 5:00 a.m. saying he heard on the news there was a shooting over here. I looked at my phone and checked my cameras and sure enough I saw the cops out here." 
Like many people in this area, he's just relieved the men who caused a panic Wednesday morning were arrested and will now face justice. 


FORT MYERS, Fla. -- Two people are in custody after an hours-long search.  Police were in the area of Market Street and Evans Avenue for several hours Wednesday morning.

Police are still investigating the scene.

There was a lot of police activity on the scene when our crews arrived around 5am, with a perimeter set up by police on Market Street between Evans Avenue and Cranford Avenue.  A police helicopter and K-9 units were utilized in the area.  Guns were drawn at one point.

Once the two suspects were taken into custody, police began opening up the area.  All streets have since reopened.

We'll update as we learn more about this investigation.