News

Actions

Three residents, two dogs safe after house fire

WFTX-Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 2:39 PM, Mar 04, 2016
and last updated 2016-03-04 14:39:57-05

CAPE CORAL, Fla. -- Three people and two dogs are recovering after a kitchen malfunction sparked flames that ripped through a Cape Coral home early Friday morning.

It happened just before 3am on SE Santa Barbara Place.

According to Cape Coral Fire, flames were shooting through the roof when firefighters arrived.  Two residents were already out of the house, and a third person was rescued from a bedroom after being trapped.

Further search of the structure revealed two dogs inside -- one uninjured and one unresponsive.  Crews were able to resuscitate the dog with oxygen.

All three residents and two Cape Coral Police officers were treated at the hospital for smoke inhalation.

The cause of the fire was determined to be an electrical malfunction in the kitchen.  Damage is estimated at $100,000.

The Red Cross is now helping the family find a place to stay.