A crescent-shaped beach on Maui got the top slot Thursday in the annual list of best beaches issued by a Florida professor known as Dr. Beach.
Hawaii's Kapalua Bay Beach topped the list released by Stephen Leatherman, a professor at Florida International University in Miami.
The other nine beaches on Leatherman's list are:
- Ocracoke Lifeguarded Beach, Outer Banks, North Carolina
- Grayton Beach State Park in the Florida panhandle
- Coopers Beach, Southampton, New York
- Coast Guard Beach, Cape Cod, Massachusetts
- Lighthouse Beach, Buxton, Outer Banks, North Carolina
- Caladesi Island State Park, Dunedin-Clearwater, Florida
- Hapuna Beach State Park, Big Island, Hawaii
- Coronado Beach, San Diego
- Kiawah Beachwalker Park, Kiawah Island, South Carolina
Dr. Beach says the volcano that's spewing lava hasn't impacted either of the Hawaiian beaches on his list.
(Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)