News

Actions

Girl hospitalized after swallowing thumbtack

Posted at 8:43 AM, Dec 23, 2015
and last updated 2015-12-23 08:43:12-05

OCALA, Fla. (AP) - Authorities say a 3-year-old girl was hospitalized after swallowing a thumbtack at a north Florida daycare.

Ocala police told the Ocala Star-Banner (http://goo.gl/HaJZVc ) that the girl remained in serious condition Tuesday.

Police say officers were called to the Kingdom Christian Academy Monday morning after teachers found the girl lying on the ground gasping for air and bleeding from her mouth.

A doctor at Munroe Regional Medical Center found and removed the yellow thumbtack. She was stabilized and moved to UF Health Shands Hospital for further treatment.

A teacher at the daycare told officers she never saw any sharp objects on the ground.

___

Information from: Ocala (Fla.) Star-Banner, http://www.starbanner.com/

(Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)