News

Actions

President Obama reacts to Nice attack, offers support to French government

Posted: 8:22 PM, Jul 14, 2016
Updated: 2016-07-15 00:22:20Z

Before taking the stage for a televised town hall on policing and violence in America, President Barack Obama released a statement following the attack in Nice, France that left at least 75 dead. 

Obama has not announced plans as of yet to travel to France. Following last year's attack on Paris, Obama joined French President Francois Hollande in mourning the victims there. 

Following last year's attack, Obama offered the full support of the American government, including sharing intelligence with French authorities. Obama said in a statement that he would once again offer such support to Hollande and the French government. 

"On behalf of the American people, I condemn in the strongest terms what appears to be a horrific terrorist attack in Nice, France, which killed and wounded dozens of innocent civilians," Obama said. "Our thoughts and prayers are with the families and other loved ones of those killed, and we wish a full recovery for the many wounded. 

"I have directed my team to be in touch with French officials, and we have offered any assistance that they may need to investigate this attack and bring those responsible to justice. We stand in solidarity and partnership with France, our oldest ally, as they respond to and recover from this attack.

"On this Bastille Day, we are reminded of the extraordinary resilience and democratic values that have made France an inspiration to the entire world, and we know that the character of the French Republic will endure long after this devastating and tragic loss of life."