News

Actions

Phoenix family of 4 hospitalized after using grill to warm apartment

Posted at 9:59 AM, Sep 26, 2017
and last updated 2017-09-26 11:51:48-04

A family was taken to the hospital after a carbon monoxide incident from an inside grill in Phoenix. 

Phoenix fire says crews from one station were called to an apartment complex around 5 a.m. on Tuesday. Moments later, another station was dispatched to the same complex for a woman having a seizure. 

Officials say the woman suffering from the seizure was directly below the initial call where a carbon monoxide alarm was going off. 

The woman's family was reportedly using a barbecue grill to warm their first-floor apartment. A man in the family reportedly passed out prior to the arrival of emergency crews. An infant and 4-year-old child were also in the unit but did not show any signs of distress.

All four people were taken to the hospital for evaluation. 

Fire officials say this serves as a good reminder to not use any type of barbecue, grill or other combustion-type equipment to provide warmth.