FORT MYERS — We’re learning new details tonight about how 17-year-old Carsyn Davis died. She’s the Fort Myers teenager who caught COVID-19.
The medical examiner’s report shows she may have contracted the disease at a church party, and tonight, that church is defending itself against criticism on social media.
In the medical examiner’s report, it said the party Davis attended back on June 10th had about 100 people there. It said none of them were wearing masks, and only three days later, she started getting symptoms.
The church, which has been identified as First Assembly of God, responded on its Facebook page Tuesday, saying it did not ignore protocols or intentionally expose children to the virus, and that media reports suggesting these things are “absolutely false and defamatory”.
But a gathering of that size, and the lack of masks, is against both Florida Department of Health, and CDC guidelines.
But the report also shows that, after Carsyn started experiencing symptoms, her parents didn’t immediately take her to the hospital. Her parents instead treated her with two prescription medications, one of which was hydroxychloroquine. We spoke with a doctor at FGCU about that.
“I read a few of the recent studies on hydroxychloroquine, and some of the reports, and it has shown some promise, but that’s all. It’s not that it’s totally effective," said Dr. Jay Gupta.
Dr. Gupta said it’s not a drug you should ever try without talking with a doctor. The medical examiner report shows that, on June 19th, Davis had her oxygen levels drop when her mother measured them. Dr. Gupta said, that’s a big warning sign.
“If they’re having breathing trouble, then they should certainly go to a doctor," said Dr. Gupta.
But Davis didn’t see a doctor.
Instead, the report said her mother, a nurse, put her on an oxygen tank they had in the house for her grandfather. When that didn’t work, she was taken to the hospital on June 20th. Davis died only two days after being hospitalized, according to the report. It also shows that, when in the hospital, her parents decided not to have her put on a ventilator.