FORT MYERS, FLA — Got sewing skills you want to put to good use?
According to Lee Health's Chief Foundation and Development Officer, Chris Simonaeu, local hospitals in our area say making masks for their staff would be a huge help.
"It's important that our providers have masks to protect them from the COVID," said Simoneau.
Lee health says donated masks will be put to good use all over their facilities.
"Once we see what they created, what types of designs they're using, what types of patterns they're using, fabric they're using, elastic. We'll evaluate how we'll use it around our system," said Simoneau.
He added that Lee health has been overwhelmed with generous donations of all kinds from the community, and all that giving is boosting morale for their staff.
"It's wonderful, it is more so giving such hope and pride to our health care workers," said Simoneau.
In addition to cloth masks, Simoneau says the health network is also accepting donations of gloves, face shields and gowns.
There are three ways you can get those things to Lee Health:
- Call the Lee Health Foundation at 239-343-6950 and schedule a pick-up
- Drop-off item(s) at a Lee Health facility. They ask that you DO NOT drop these items off at an emergency room.
- You can drop-off item(s) at the Lee Health Foundation headquarters. They will come and meet you outside.
Fox 4 also heard from the Naples Community Hospital, who released the following guidelines for people looking to sew and deliver masks to them.
Masks should be:
- Pre-washed in hot water and dried to pre-shrink
- Made with elastic ear loops
- Placed in individual ziploc bags for delivery
Masks and all other items can be delivered to NCH's Central Campus, located at 2157 Pine Ridge Rd, Naples, FL. They have security staff in place to receive the items.